ABOUT CALUMET MONTANA REFINERY
Calumet Montana Refinery (CMR) Background
• Refinery since 1922.
• CMR acquired the refinery in 2012 and currently produces 25,000 barrels a day.
• Facility was issued hazardous waste permit in 1995.
• September 2012, Hazardous waste permit MTHW‑95‑02 terminated and a Corrective Action Order on Consent (Order) issued by Montana Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ).
CMR Site-Wide Corrective Actions
As part of the facility-wide corrective action, CMR is required to address petroleum impacted soils and groundwater at the Site. CMR has completed the recent Site Corrective Action activities:
• Feb 2014 through Aug 15 - Conducted lead consolidation area Interim Measure soil removal
• Oct 2018 – Conducted storm sewer lining
• Mar 2019 – Initiated a two-year site wide groundwater quarterly monitoring program
• Apr 2019 – Initiated East and West Rail Rack Interim Measure additional investigations
• Jul 2019 – Initiated Old Ponded Area Human Health Risk Assessment (HHRA)
• Aug 2019 – Initiated Truck Loading Rack Interim Measure design activities
• For more information on MDEQ oversight, please visit: http://deq.mt.gov/Land/hazwaste/RCRA/rcraMRCfactsht