ABOUT CALUMET MONTANA REFINERY
Calumet Montana Refinery (CMR) Background
• Refinery since 1922.
• Facility was issued hazardous waste permit in 1995.
• Hazardous waste permit MTHW‑95‑02 terminated in 2012 and a Corrective Action Order on Consent (Order) issued by Montana Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ).
• CMR acquired the refinery in 2012 and currently produces 30,000 barrels a day.
CMR Site-Wide Corrective Actions
As part of the facility-wide corrective action, CMR is addressing hydrocarbon impacted soils and groundwater at the Site. CMR has completed the recent Site Corrective Action activities:
• Feb 2014 through Aug 15 - Conducted lead consolidation area Interim Measure soil removal
• Oct 2018 – Conducted storm sewer lining
• Mar 2019 – Initiated a two-year site wide groundwater quarterly monitoring program
• Sept 2019 – Completed East and West Rail Rack Interim Measure additional investigations
• Sept 2019 – Completed Old Ponded Area Human Health Risk Assessment (HHRA)
• Apr 2020 – Supported USEPA's Optimization Review Report Remedial Process Optimization Study
• Nov 2020 – Completed Truck Loading Rack Interim Measure Final (100%) Design
• May 2021 – Initiated construction activities for the Loading Rack Interim Measure
• April 2021 – Completed state requested optimization review
• November 2021 – Completed commissioning of the Loading Rack Interim Measure
Future Operations at CMR
As part of the facility-wide corrective action, CMR is required to address petroleum impacted soils and groundwater at the Site. CMR has the following Site Corrective Action activities planned:
• Tentatively slated to start in 2022 - Preparation and planning for upcoming Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Facility Investigation and Risk Assessment.
• For more information on MDEQ oversight, please visit: http://deq.mt.gov/Land/hazwaste/RCRA/rcraMRCfactsht